If you’re an avid water sports enthusiast or have recently decided to try out kayaking, you know that choosing the right outfit is key for optimal performance in the water. Kayakers need clothing and gear that can keep them comfortable and safe while paddling, as well as protect their skin from sunburns. Finding what to wear when kayaking may seem challenging at first, but with the help of this guide, you’ll find all the tips needed for mastering your look when hitting the waters. Read on to be armed with all knowledge it takes to make sure your day on the waves turns out perfect!
- 1 What to wear when kayaking for beginners?
- 2 What to wear when kayaking in summer?
- 3 What to wear when kayaking in winter?
- 4 What not to wear when kayaking?
- 5 Is there a dress code for kayaking?
- 6 How can I make my kayaking outfit unique?
- 7 What other items should bring along when kayaking?
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 FAQs
- 9.1 What is the best material to wear kayaking?
- 9.2 What should I wear under my wetsuit or dry suit?
- 9.3 What type of shoes should I wear for kayaking?
- 9.4 What should I do with my clothing after my paddle?
- 9.5 What else should I consider when what to wear when kayaking?
- 9.6 Can I wear jeans kayaking?
- 9.7 Should I wear a hat when kayaking?
- 9.8 Do I need a special kayaking uniform?
- 9.9 Are flip flops OK for kayaking?
- 9.10 Can you go barefoot kayaking?
What to wear when kayaking for beginners?
If you are kayaking for the first time, here are some basic items you need to prepare to ensure you are safe and comfortable both on and in the water.
- Always have a personal flotation device: Personal flotation device also known as PFD. To keep yourself safe on the water remember to always wear a life jacket or personal flotation device
- Wear clothes suitable for water temperature: To avoid getting too cold you must choose clothes suitable for water temperature. You can wear a wetsuit or a dry suit for extra warmth
- Wear multiple layers: Instead of having to wear a loose and thick shirt, it’s best to wear multiple layers. Thermals are a base layer to keep warm as well as absorb moisture well for the body. If you are too hot or wet, you can take off a layer
- Don’t forget sun protection: When you kayak, you’ll spend a lot of time on the water. This leaves you with a lot of sun exposure. Therefore, you need to equip yourself with clothes with UPF ratio, do not forget to apply sunscreen, wear a hat, and also consider bringing sunglasses if it is a sunny day.
- Wear clothes that you can move easily: Because you have to sit for a long time, you need to choose comfortable clothes. Avoid wearing anything that is too constricting so that you can move your arms easily
- Don’t wear cotton: Cotton is an absorbent material and is always wet, so you should avoid wearing cotton clothes. Instead, you should choose to wear clothes made from quick-drying synthetic fabrics like nylon or polyester. Woolen clothes are also a good choice, although they don’t dry quickly, they insulate when wet
- Choose a wear-resistant fabric: Choose clothes that can withstand the wear and tear of water, sand, or any rubbing when kayaking, preferably made of durable, hard materials. You should also stay away from clothes with buckles or laces that can rust
What to wear when kayaking in summer?
It is important to wear clothes suitable for the water and the weather
- Buoyancy aid: The first and most important thing is to always carry your PFD no matter the weather. PFD works to keep you safe in the water while providing body warmth
- Swimwear: When kayaking in the summer many people often choose to wear swimwear or non-cotton underwear
- Underwear: Make sure to wear a supportive sports bra if you’re female and quality underwear that won’t bunch up and cause chafing
- Sunwear: The polyester waterproof jacket is suitable for all outdoor activities, especially for water sports such as kayaking. Polyester is a stretchy, quick-drying material with a high UPF rating that can protect you against UV damage.
- Bottoms: Shorts, quick-drying leggings or gym pants are perfect for kayaking. Note that you should not wear pants that are too thin, to avoid wearing when you have to constantly change seats when rowing
- Middle layer: You should bring a fleece jacket, in case the wind picks up when and is on the water
- Outer layer: You should choose to bring a waterproof and breathable jacket in case it rains. Beach jackets are great because they keep out rain, wind, and saltwater
- Footwear: Neoprene boots are ideal for kayaking because they are lightweight and, importantly, waterproof. Don’t wear flip-flops or sandals because they fall off your feet easily and offer no protection
- Accessories: You can equip a waterproof hat and don’t forget to wear neoprene gloves to protect your hands from blistering. If you wear extra sunglasses make sure your glasses have a strap to prevent them from falling off while paddling
What to wear when kayaking in winter?
You can refer to our following list
- Wetsuit: When kayaking in winter you need a wetsuit, this is the minimum and necessary protection
- Swimwear: Instead of wearing a thick layer of thermal insulation, just a swimsuit is enough. In order not to have to find a separate changing area to take off your wetsuit, you should wear a swimsuit underneath
- Outer layer: You can get cold if your wetsuit is wet no matter how thick it is. So you need to equip yourself with a windproof and waterproof jacket to keep your body warm
What not to wear when kayaking?
Is there a dress code for kayaking?
How can I make my kayaking outfit unique?
What other items should bring along when kayaking?
In addition to what to wear when kayaking, it’s important to equip yourself with the necessary safety items. Depending on what type of paddling you’re doing and where, you may need items such as a Personal Flotation Device (PFD), whistle, first-aid kit, fire starter, navigation devices like a GPS or compass, and a repair kit.
Additionally, it’s always a good idea to pack what you need for the environment and activity level. A good start is investing in a hat, sunglasses with UV protection, gloves, and a neck gaiter for extra warmth if needed. Finally, consider carrying items like sunscreen and insect repellent to protect yourself from the elements
What is the best material to wear kayaking?
What should I wear under my wetsuit or dry suit?
What type of shoes should I wear for kayaking?
What should I do with my clothing after my paddle?
What else should I consider when what to wear when kayaking?
Can I wear jeans kayaking?
Should I wear a hat when kayaking?
Do I need a special kayaking uniform?
Are flip flops OK for kayaking?
Can you go barefoot kayaking?
Cara Wall is the CEO of Clementine, a consignment shop in Nashville that specializes in maternity wear. Cara was pregnant a few years ago and couldn’t find any consignment maternity wear, so she set out to create her own shop. Clementine is light, airy, and full of gorgeous designer brands—thanks to all of our consignors.
The shop is owned by Cara and her mother, Myrle, and often operated by their lovely assistants, Wendy and Sonya. Eleanor makes frequent visits, looking for the lollipops that are always on the checkout desk.